Sanofi is focused on providing answers for patients in a number of pathologies, including in particular the prevention and treatment of thrombosis and cardiovascular diseases.
In thrombosis our leading medicines (1) are:
- Plavix® (clopidogrel bisulfate), an antiplatelet agent indicated in the secondary prevention of atherothrombosis-related events such as recent stroke or heart attack and lower limb arteriopathy and in association with aspirin in adult patients with acute coronary syndrome. Plavix is marketed through an alliance with Bristol-Myers Squibb.
- Lovenox® (enoxaparin sodium), a low molecular weight heparin indicated in :
- prevention of deep vein thrombosis following surgery, or in patients bedridden for an acute medical condition (such as that advanced heart failure, acute respiratory failure)
- treatment of deep vein thrombosis formed, with or without pulmonary embolism
- in association with aspirin in the treatment of unstable angina and myocardial infarction without Q wave in the acute phase
- in association with thrombolytic therapy in the treatment of acute heart attack with ST-segment shift of patients eligible or not for secondary coronary angioplasty.
In the field of cardiovascular disease (1):
- Multaq® (dronedarone) is an antiarrhythmic indicated for the maintenance of sinus rhythm after successful cardioversion in clinically stable adult patients with paroxysmal or persistent atrial fibrillation (AF). Prescribing this drug requires a thorough cardiac examination to ensure the absence of systolic left ventricular dysfunction, or a history of heart failure. Because of its safety profile, it should only be prescribed after alternative treatment has been considered. This antiarrhythmic has demonstrated a significant reduction in cardiovascular hospitalization.
- Aprovel® (irbesartan) and CoAprovel® are two major treatments for essential hypertension marketed through an alliance with Bristol-Myers Squibb.
In the field of renal pathologies (1):
- Renagel® (sevelamer hydrochloride) and Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) are oral phosphate binders used by chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients on dialysis to treat a condition called hyperphosphatemia, or elevated phosphorus levels, which is associated with heart and bone disease. Renvela® is a second generation, buffered phosphate binder. Renvela® is also approved to control hyperphosphatenmia in CKD adults not on dialysis but with very high blood phosphorus levels.
In transplantation (1):
- Thymoglobulin® (anti-thymocyte immunoglobulin rabbit) is a human polyclonal anti-thymocyte which acts as a broad immunosuppressant and immunomodulator. Thymoglobulin® acts by depletion of T cells , this effect being completed by various other immunomodulatory effects. Thymoglobulin® is currently marketed in more than 65 countries. According to the country, Thymoglobulin® is indicated: for the treatment or prevention of graft versus host disease (GVHD) following transplantation of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cells and / or immunosuppressive treatment of aplastic anemia. It can also be used for treatment and / or prevention of acute graft rejection. (1)
- Mozobil® (plérixafor), a hematopoietic stem cell mobilizer, is indicated in combination with G-CSF to mobilize hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) to the peripheral blood for collection and subsequent autologous transplantation in patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and multiple myeloma. (1)
In biosurgery: medical devices (1):
- Synvisc® and Synvisc-One® (hylan G-F 20) are viscosupplements used to treat pain associated with osteoarthritis of certain joints. Synvisc® is a triple-injection product and Synvisc-One® is a next-generation, single-injection product. The principal viscosupplementation market is treatment of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee.
- LeGoo®, an innovative technology is a gel for temporary endovascular occlusion of blood vessels during surgical procedures in the U.S.
- Seprafilm® (sodium hyaluronate/carboxymethylcellulose) is an adhesion barrier, used as adjunct for patients undergoing abdominal, pelvic or thoracic surgeries in order to reduce the incidence, extent and severity of postoperative adhesions.
Our portfolio has many other specialities (1), including:
- Auvi-QTM® is epinephrine auto-injector with audio and visual cues for the emergency treatment of life threatening allergic reactions in people who are at risk for or have a history of anaphylaxis.
- Stilnox® (zolpidem), for the treatment of insomnia.
- Allegra®/Telfast® (fexofenadine hydrochloride), for allergic rhinitis or urticaria.
- Tritace®/Triatec® (ramipril), for patients with high blood pressure, congestive heart failure or kidney disease.
- Depakine® (sodium valproate), a reference treatment for epilepsy.
- Xatral® (alfuzosin hydrochloride), for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Actonel® (risedronate sodium), for patients with osteoporosis or Paget’s disease.
- Nasacort® (triamcinolone acetonide), for the treatment of hay fever.
- For more information, please consult the Summaries of Product Characteristics for the products available in your country.