Sanofi is focused on providing answers for patients in a number of pathologies, including in particular the prevention and treatment of thrombosis and cardiovascular diseases.
In thrombosis our leading medicines are:
- Plavix® (clopidogrel bisulfate), an antiplatelet agent indicated in the secondary prevention of atherothrombosis-related events. It is commercialized in alliance with Bristol-Myers Squibb. Since 1998, it is estimated that at least 115 million people in 115 countries (1) have been treated with Plavix®.
- Lovenox® (enoxaparin sodium), a low molecular weight heparin indicated in the prevention and treatment of deep vein thrombosis, and the treatment of unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction in association with aspirin.
Lovenox® has been used to treat more than 350 million patients in 100 countries (1). It was furthermore the market leader in the United States and in the main European countries in 2010*.
* IMS sales 2010
In the field of cardiovascular disease, our antiarrhythmic Multaq® (dronedarone) is used in patients with a history of atrial fibrillation (AF) or current non-permanent AF. It significantly reduces the risk of hospitalization due to cardiovascular causes.
- Multaq® is authorized for marketing in more than 50 countries (1).
- Aprovel® (irbesartan) and CoAprovel® (irbesartan hydrochlorothiazide) are major treatments in high blood pressure.
These antihypertensives are available in more than 80 countries (1), marketed in alliance with Bristol-Myers Squibb.
In the field of renal pathologies:
- Renagel® (sevelamer hydrochloride) and Renvela® (sevelamer carbonate) are oral phosphate binders used by chronic kidney disease (CKD) patients on dialysis to treat a condition called hyperphosphatemia, or elevated phosphorus levels, which is associated with heart and bone disease. Renvela® is a second generation, buffered phosphate binder. Renvela® is also approved to control hyperphosphatenmia in CKD adults not on dialysis but with very high blood phosphorus levels.
- Synvisc® and Synvisc-One® (hylan G-F 20) are viscosupplements used to treat pain associated with osteoarthritis of certain joints. Synvisc® is a triple-injection product and Synvisc-One® is a next-generation, single-injection product. The principal viscosupplementation market is treatment of pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee.
- LeGoo®, an innovative technology is a gel for temporary endovascular occlusion of blood vessels during surgical procedures in the U.S.
- Auvi-Q® is the first-and-only epinephrine auto-injector with audio and visual cues for the emergency treatment of life threatening allergic reactions in people who are at risk for or have a history of anaphylaxis.
Our portfolio has many other specialties, including:
- Stilnox® (zolpidem), for the treatment of insomnia.
- Allegra®/Telfast® (fexofenadine hydrochloride), for allergic rhinitis or urticaria.
- Tritace®/Triatec® (ramipril), for patients with high blood pressure, congestive heart failure or kidney disease.
- Depakine® (sodium valproate), a reference treatment for epilepsy.
- Xatral® (alfuzosin hydrochloride), for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Actonel® (risedronate sodium), for patients with osteoporosis or Paget’s disease.
- Nasacort® (triamcinolone acetonide), for the treatment of hay fever.
1. For more information, please consult the Summaries of Product Characteristics for the products available in your country.