Worldwide, 371 million people are currently living with diabetes, and this population will grow to 552 million before 2030 (1). Building upon its century long history in this field, Sanofi is committed to improving global diabetes management through its integrated offering of treatments and medical devices.
Our principal medicinal products in the field of diabetes are:
- Lantus® (insulin glargine), a long-acting human insulin analog, market leader for branded insulins (IMS source). Lantus® is available is more than 120 countries worldwide (2).
- Apidra® (insulin glulisine) a rapid-acting human insulin analog.
- Insuman®, a range of rapid- and intermediate-acting human insulins.
- Amaryl®/Amarel® (glimepiride), a sulfonylurea-class hypoglycemic.
- Lyxumia® (lixisenatide) is a once-daily prandial GLP-1 receptor agonist (2).
Furthermore, other diabetes treatments are currently in clinical development.
- Lantus® and Apidra® are also available in the form of Lantus® SoloSTAR® and Apidra® SoloSTAR® injection pens.
- ClikSTAR®, a reusable pen for Lantus® and Apidra®, is available in more than 30 countries (2) for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes (2).
- AllSTAR® is developed especially for people with diabetes in emerging markets, indicated for use with Sanofi’s insulin portfolio. AllStar® is now available in India.
Sanofi has established agreements with several innovative companies to make new therapeutic solutions available to patients. For example, our innovative partnership with AgaMatrix has allowed us to bring to market the BGStar® and iBGStar® blood glucose monitors for patients taking insulin.
1. International Diabetes Federation, Diabetes Atlas, 5th edition.
2. For more information, please consult the Summaries of Product Characteristics for the products available in your country.
Research and Development